John A. Logan will continue online classes through August 21

John A. Logan will continue with online classes through Friday, August 21 after an electrical fire caused damage to the college Wednesday.

The fire started the first day of in-person classes at the community college, injuring two employees trapped in the elevator and two firefighters. The four were transported to local hospitals.

See more: Fire reported at John A. Logan College

In an email to faculty, Vice President for Instruction Melanie Pecord said the bookstore cannot open as campus does not have power.

“Please give your students grace with assignments as they cannot control this.I know these are challenging times, and I appreciate all you are doing. I am so thankful for those involved and working diligently to get us restored and back on campus,” Pecord said.

To make sure the college is ready for employees and students they are working with an industrial hygienist to provide recommendations for interior restoration.

The damage caused by the fire extends from both floors of the west entry through the library on the first floor. The area includes the gymnasium, athletic offices and all spaces down the hallways of O’Neil Auditorium.

John A. is working with bookstore vendor Follett’s to help students with books and supplies for the semester.

“Students that have ordered books or need to order books will be able to pick those books up at the Follett’s location at SIU,” said Vice President for Business Services and College Facilities, Brad McCormick. “We understand that some students will not be able to go to Carbondale to pick their books up so the College will pay any shipping cost.”

Advisement has been extended through 4 pm August 20.

“Our advisors have been advising students remotely for the past five months, and to ensure that we can help all that need help, we are extending by two days until August 20,” said Pecord.

John A. Logan Fitness was not affected by the electrical outage is still open and operational.