Ashley+Jackson+practices+their+flag+formations+Monday%2C+Jan.+18%2C+2020+at+Carterville+High+School.+This+is+the+team%27s+first+practice+in+two+months+according+to+Coach+Linda+Drust.+Illinois+is+now+in+Phase+4+under+the+Restore+Illinois+Plan+allowing+gatherings+of+up+to+50+people.+This+is+the+team%27s+first+practice+in+two+months+according+to+Coach+Linda+Drust.+Illinois+is+now+in+Phase+4+under+the+Restore+Illinois+Plan+allowing+gatherings+of+up+to+50+people.+The+team+and+coaches+now+face+the+challenge+of+changing+their+practices+to+no+touching%2C+no+stunts+and+no+shouting+their+cheers+due+to+the+COVID-19+pandemic.+

Isabel Miller

Ashley Jackson practices their flag formations Monday, Jan. 18, 2020 at Carterville High School. This is the team’s first practice in two months according to Coach Linda Drust. Illinois is now in Phase 4 under the Restore Illinois Plan allowing gatherings of up to 50 people. This is the team’s first practice in two months according to Coach Linda Drust. Illinois is now in Phase 4 under the Restore Illinois Plan allowing gatherings of up to 50 people. The team and coaches now face the challenge of changing their practices to no touching, no stunts and no shouting their cheers due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Worth the Wait

Carterville High School Cheer team returns to practice

January 18, 2021

Emily Perry warms up during practice Monday, Jan. 18, 2020 at Carterville High School. (Isabel Miller)

After two months of being sidelined due to COVID-19 restrictions set by the IHSA the returning state champions Carterville High School Cheer team returned to practice on Monday, January 18th.
“This was an exciting night for our team,” Co-coach Linda Drust said. “We were allowed to return to the gym for the first time since early November.”
While team could practice at the school there was mandated social distancing and the team wore masks throughout the evening.
“It was nice to see the smiles behind the masks and the enthusiasm to train for a new competition season,” Coach Drust said. “I’m so happy for our athletes, they’ve been patient and mature in the waiting.”

Coach Amy Drust teaches the team formations Monday, Jan. 18, 2020 at Carterville High School. (Isabel Miller)